History

Wesson Boathouse (1902)

The Wesson Boathouse is situated on a .20 acre waterfront lot, on Shawme Pond. Before the boathouse was built in 1902 the land was owed by Nathanial Freeman. The Freeman home was a Colonial house that stretched from Grove Street to the shore of the pond in an L shape. Nathanial Freeman lived in the home until he died in 1826. The home then went to his son who lived there until he died in 1883. By 1895 the house was torn down due to demolition by neglect. Granite boulders could be seen around the boathouse which is the foundation of the Freeman home. In 1880 James Wesson built his summer home called Fairview and in 1902 built the Wesson Boathouse. Postcards dating back show two other boathouses on the pond, the Wesson Boathouse is the only remaining one. In 1957 the Popes took over ownership of the Wesson Boathouse and had it for 40 years until 1997 when Ronald Cronin purchased it. Unfortunately overtime the boathouse has deteriorated and is currently in crisis. In September 2022 Bernice Wahler purchased the boathouse and her goal is to preserve and restore the boathouse for future generations.